Learn to Skate
Ages 3 - 12
Learn to Skate class introduces children ages 3 – 12 years to the basics of skating in a safe and fun environment. Designed for children with little or no prior skating experience, the foundation of skating is taught in order to build confidence and become comfortable on the ice. Make-up classes are not available for skating.
All 50-minute lessons include a 25-minute lesson and a 25-minute practice.
Spring: April 1 - June 6, 2020
REGISTRATION IS ONGOING. Classes are prorated if you join once the semester has started.
TO ENROLL: Click on desired class time.
Pricing Prorated prices reflected at checkout.
|Snowplow Sam + Basic Skills, 50 mins., 1x/wk,
10 classes (Apr. 1 - Jun. 6)
Frequently Asked Questions
What to Wear
To protect skaters from cold temperatures, injury from skate blades and rough ice in the event of falling, long pants, long sleeves or a jacket, gloves or mittens and hats should be worn. Rink management strongly recommends the use of rounded back helmets be worn for skaters 8 years old or younger. Students wearing hockey skates are encouraged to wear caged hockey helmets.
For your first ice skating lesson, we strongly recommend that you arrive 30-minutes prior to the start of your lesson. For the remaining lessons we recommend at least 10 to 15-minutes prior to the lesson time in order to get skates on and be on the ice at the start of class.
Skates should be 1/2 to 1 inch smaller than the skater's actual sneaker size. Skaters should wear one pair of thin socks or tights for maximum support. A skate should have loose laces down to the toe before being put on, and then tightly re-laced with the tongue straight up. If a skater's heel lifts up and down or there is inadequate ankle support, a smaller ice skate should be worn. Please wait until the skate is properly laced to determine if a larger size is required.
Rules & Regulations
Youth Class Cancellation/Refund Policy
- Chelsea Piers Connecticut reserves the right to cancel a class due to insufficient registration, prior to, or following, the first class of the semester. Appropriate refunds will be granted.
- Requests for class fee refunds (not including a non-refundable reservation fee and the fee for any classes taken) will be considered through the third class of the semester, for classes that meet 12 or more times.
- The non-refundable reservation fee is $50 for classes that meet 10 times or more and $25 for classes that meet 9 times or less.
- Refunds are not available for cancellations made after the third class of the semester, or for students registering late in the semester.
- All requests must be submitted in writing.
- No refunds are available for summer classes or classes that meet fewer than 11 times.
- Trial classes may be available for students unsure of enrollment. See details below.
- Class fees are not transferable to another student.
- Students may transfer from one class to another during the semester if there is availability. Additional class fees may apply if there is a price differential between classes.
- Refunds are not available for absences, transportation delays, inclement weather, withdrawals, dismissals, strike/work stoppage, natural disaster or reasons beyond the control of Chelsea Piers, disrupts or forces the cancellation of class.
Trial classes are available for semester-based programs based on availability. Trial classes may not be reserved in advance. Trial classes range from $30-$90 depending on the specific class. Trial classes are not available for swimming or ice skating programs.
Youth Class Make-up Policy
No make-ups are available for aquatics classes/programs, leagues, team practices, advanced lacrosse classes and tennis classes. Additionally, no make-ups are available for programs that are fewer than 10 classes. Chelsea Piers offers 2 make-up classes for the remaining semester-based classes that are scheduled to meet 16 or more times during the semester and 1 make-up class for programs that meet 11-15 times. Make-ups must be scheduled with each Program Director.
Learn more about Developmental Stages.